Thursday, October 25, 2007

Argumentative Typography

3 Compositions for representing an argument typographically, (original brief here).

Initial Idea Sketches

Composition One:
Representing the 'maze' an argument can become: There are always several reactions, i.e. 'aggressive' and 'calming' reactions.

Final Composition



First Sketches

Composition two: Two sides to each argument. Only using blue or red glasses you can read each side of the argument properly. There is also white Letraset on white paper to represent aspects of arguments, which only become apparent when looking/listening more closely.

Final Composition, hand rendered Guache and Letraset


Computer rendered type to be traced later


Screen colour tests


Experiments with styles and colours


Initial Sketch

Composition three: Flipbook. Hand-rendered type, animated in Flash, single frames printed on stickers. One sticker per page.

Cover


Flipping pages


Final frames



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! I love your work. I'm a design student, and for a project am attempting to do a hidden/revealed message using colored acetate. I came across your blog post and I was wondering if you ever produced a printed version of the color experiment and got it to work? I'm having difficulty getting the color and transparency settings for the print. Any advice you can give would be most helpful! Many thanks!

www.leabecker.com said...

Hi Cammy, thanks for your comment.
this project is a long time ago but I think I remember printing pure cyan and magenta and then experimenting with 3d glasses to see how I had to adjust the colour in order for it to be hidden depending on which eye I closed, if that makes sense?! Good luck and send me a link if you like, would be great to see your outcome!