Thursday, September 18, 2008

Everything's coming together...

...slowly, but surely. And it's about time, too.

These first weeks have been nothing but trouble. First my bank card broke (actually it was just fraud prevention without fraud). Then my phone broke. Not good in a city where most flats don't have buzzers so you have to call people to say you're there. Then I moved into an apartment which turned out to be in a not so cool area, or at least I didn't feel comfortable. Then I got sick (see blog post about air-condi-shit-ioning). Then I decided I really needed to move. Sooner rather than later. Then I began my hunt. And that was over a week ago.

Now I am in a completely empty apartment in midtown. With 24 hour doormen it couldn't be safer (actually it's almost a bit scary, if you're not used to it, if that makes sense). And I owe a friend a huge thank you. There is nothing in here. No chair, no desk, no nothing. And I love it. I went to this 24 hours hardware store on 29th street the other night. Rocking up there at about 11pm, the store was completely empty. (Why 24 hours, you might wonder. Me too.) One of the employees was so bored he decided to give me personal shopping assistance. And so we spent about 45 minutes wandering through the store, deliberating about what a person needs in an empty flat for 2 weeks. We decided: 1 cup, 1 pan, 1 plate, 1 knife, 1 spoon, 1 fork, 1 glass, 1 bowl.

And so I sit with my one-of-each collection checking craigslist again, waiting to find my dream place. The one place. The heaven of all apartments in all of New York. Actually, I am just looking for a simple, small room in a place that doesn't require to have to call up your bank to ask for a loan to pay the rent, doesn't have more mice than humans, does have a window, and through that window there comes natural light. Doesn't seem too much to ask, but hey, this is New York and people are weird!

I'm searching. And searching. And searching. But if everything works out, I will have that dream place confirmed in the next few days. No mice, 1 window, natural light and sharing with a french baker. The flat, not the room, that is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

finally writing blog again, thats a good sign??? crossing my fingers for the combination with the french baker. maybe you than need two cups etc.? joan