Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Two days in Paris I


I went to see Julie Delpy's film "2 days in Paris" this week, and I liked it. It was the first time I saw a film she had directed, after having seen several films with her as an actress. I can recommend all of them (see below), I think she is a brilliant actress, and such a talented, creative person (she has written 7, directed 5, produced 4 films). "2 days in Paris" is definitely worth watching though I think it has its ups and downs. I like the almost naive approach to film making, I think you can feel she is still relatively new to directing and maybe was almost too close to the film to decide what should stay and what should go. It seems the film wants to tell too many stories at once and gets a bit confused. I really liked some of the "couple-moments" it portrayed, which felt very authentic. There were some nice references to issues in relationships when two people are from different countries. I find it really interesting how for example America, France, Germany or England are all similar, western countries yet when you look close there are such differences which can lead to amusing misunderstandings. The film portrays Paris and her parents very nicely and has hilariously funny moment. Watch the trailer here, or go and see the imbd website.

The other films I saw with her are:
Broken Flowers (2005)
Before Sunset (2004)
Waking Life (2001)
Before Sunrise (1995)
Three Colours: White (1994)

No comments: